The Gender War: Who is winning?
I believe the societal role of men is changing at “warp speed” today.
This is large because women are gaining more power due to a fundamental shift in our economy away from physical labor and towards knowledge labor.
· 3/4s of the jobs lost in the current recession have been by men
· For every 2 men that get a college degree today, 3 women do so
· More than 50% of managers in US businesses are women
· Women are for the first time the majority of the US workforce
· Of the top 15 fastest growing professions over the next decade, all but 2 of them are dominated by women
In almost all certainty, women will, on the whole, be more powerful than men soon. It takes time for old systems and networks — even those of the old boy variety — to die out.
The problem with boys/men?
· Boys have around 3x the learning disabilities girls do
· Girls are especially more effective in their ability to communicate at a young age, an advantage that often continues on later in life
· Above all, this is objectively not a bad thing
I guess the real problem that men will have to face – sooner than later – is how to internalize this change.
Men will have to come up with a different vision for themselves and what they aspire to be.
So men have a choice of being depressed and frustrated with themselves for not living up to some role they have been assigned externally or they can chart a new path.
What do you say?
Share your thoughts…